Geographic Information System (GIS)
Geographic Information System (GIS) technology, associated statewide geographic data layers, and location-based system components are the cornerstone of a Next Generation 911 (NG911) system.
Kansas NG911 GIS Committee
The NG911 GIS Committee is comprised of Council members and external GIS subject matter experts.
- Tasked with recommending GIS data standards and protocols for use by PSAPs, telecommunications carriers, and GIS service providers.
- Oversees RFI and RFP’s issued on behalf of the Council and recommends selection of vendors and services.
- Provides oversight of GIS service contracts approved by the Council and coordinates work of GIS providers with PSAPs and other NG911 system stakeholders.
- Coordinates state level NG911 database administration with database administrator and NG911 stakeholders.
|Ken Nelson (Chair)||State of Kansas Geographic Information Officer (GIO)|
Kansas Geological Survey, Kansas Data Access & Support Center (DASC)
|Sherry Massey (Co-Chair)||GIS/Tech Specialist|
Kansas 911 Coordinating Council
Kansas Data Access & Support Center (DASC)
|Eileen Battles||Kansas Data Access & Support Center (DASC)|
|Eamonn Coveney||City of Hays/Ellis County|
|Saralyn Hayes||Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)|
|Jack Joseph||Sedgwick County Geographic Information Services|
|James Stewart||Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT)|
|Sherie Taylor||Riley County IT/GIS|
|William Trimble||Kansas Data Access & Support Center (DASC)|
Standards, Tools & Policies
- KS NG911 GIS Data Model v2.2
- Kansas NG911 GIS Data Model Domains v2.1/v2.2
- Kansas NG911 Addressing Guidelines
NG911 GIS Data Model Templates
GIS Pilot Study (2011) & GIS Enhancement Project (2013 – 2016)
GIS Pilot Study
In 2011, a GIS Pilot Study was performed to determine the scope of work. The available GIS data for three contiguous counties were evaluated for quality, consistency and interagency alignment. Those counties included: Sedgwick (pop. 500k), Reno (64k) and Kingman (7k).
The GIS Pilot Study results include:
- Wide range of data quality even within a single jurisdiction
- Widely variance in available data and in the structure of common layers
- Relatively poor alignment with the MSAG/ALI Database
- Primary recommendation: “Construction of a statewide GIS database should begin as soon as possible, beginning with adopting GIS standards…“
GIS Enhancement Project
The GIS Enhancement Project was a three-phase project to get PSAP GIS data ready for NG911. An RFP was issued in Q3 2013 and awarded in Q4 2013.
- Project A: Gap Analysis: The QA vendor evaluated all of the submitted GIS data and reported the results along with a rough estimate on remediation costs.
- Project B: Data Remediation: PSAPs selected from five remediation vendors or chose to do the work in-house. Fully remediated data was submitted back to the QA vendor for re-evaluation
- Project C: Quality Assurance: Every “error” had to be fixed or commented on before it passed QA
Coinciding with the GIS Enhancement Project, the Kansas GIS Data Model was created and statewide imagery was obtained to support the project.
Statewide OrthoImagery and Hosted Solution Map
Statewide NG911 Imagery
Since 2014, the Kansas 911 Coordinating Council (Council) has supported the acquisition of statewide high-resolution orthoimagery (imagery). This data supports critical components of the Kansas NG911 program, from geospatial data maintenance to call handling mapping. Following the Council’s strategic plan to acquire imagery every three years, statewide imagery was collected in 2014/15, 2018, and most recently, in the spring of 2021.
The NG911 imagery is available for download and as image services on the Kansas Data Access and Support Center (DASC) Hub site.
State and Local Government Imagery Buy-up Program (ongoing)
While 1-foot pixel resolution imagery is sufficient for NG911 purposes, local government applications often require higher resolution data. The State and Local Government Buy-up Program streamlines the procurement process and offers cost savings compared to standalone projects. The current buy-up program also supports the collection of airborne Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) data and other related mapping services.
The local buy-up option is available throughout the three-year contract with Surdex. Please contact Jack King (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Kansas Hosted Call Handling System Status Map
Green – Live on hosted solution
Blue – Signed SOR, joining hosted solution soon
Orange – Other 911 System
Gray – Kansas City Mid America Regional Council (MARC) region
ESInet & MSAG/GIS Data Alignment
GIS Training, Events and Meetings
NG911 GIS Data Steward & Data Maintainer Certification Classes
NG911 GIS Certification Class are moving to the Kansas NG911 Learning Center platform and will be available in early 2022. For more information, contact Sherry Massey (email@example.com).
GIS Training Videos
NG911 GIS User Group
The NG911 GIS User Group has quarterly webinar meetings and meets in person annually at the Kansas Association of Mappers (KAM) conference.